Wednesday, August 6, 2008

I Survived Girl's Camp


Me deciding to try a hot dog after going at least 15 years without one. I knew John wouldn't believe me, so I took a picture. I spit it out. I guess when you're camping things just look tastier.

Some of the Young Women waiting for the gus to go home.

Our wonderful hike.

I went to Girls' Camp last week. People ask how it was, and I'm not sure how to respond. Everything that I wanted it to be for the girls, it was. We were having some problems among them, and several weren't going to come. I prayed really hard about everyone being there because I felt that it was the place where healing would take place. All 28 girls went. All of them. I also had a devotional that I was really concerned about getting right (thank you to everyone who gave me stories), and the week before we went, there were so many instances where people made comments, and they were exactly the words I needed to use. I also felt impressed, back in February, to write a song for camp. I have never written a song in my life. But through a lot of prayer, I was able to get it done. I had 5 girls sing it with me, and it was such an overwhelming feeling to hear their beautiful voices singing about the truths that God wanted them to know in their hearts. It was another one of those experiences where if God wants me to do something, I can do it.

I am so grateful that I can turn to the Lord, and ask him for help in the details of what he wants me to do. I'm continually in awe of what a powerful instrument I can be when I decide that I will do whatever the Lord wants me to do. I fully believe that all things are possible when we work together with the Lord to do His will. I'm so grateful for everyone who watched my kids. I'm grateful for the other leaders who sacrificed so much to be up there with these precious girls. The Lord loves each one of them so much, and that love is reflected in the love that emanates from their leaders. They give so much and endure so much because they love them and want them to have happiness in their life. It is just amazing.

But aside from all the good experiences and love that was shared, it was still Girls' Camp. I didn't shower for the whole week (no hot water). I washed my hair three times when I got home and it still stunk. It was super hot. There were lots of bugs. I had to walk uphill to the "biffy" (who came up with that word) at least once every hour. I didn't get to see my sweet little kids. And I missed John. But it was still worth it.

6 comments:

Amber said...

Thanks for your inspiring comments!! I always love your blogs!

Breanne said...

I'm glad that camp went well. I heard about your news! I'm excited for you :)

Jen said...

You are amazing Natalie! These young women are so luck to have you.

Schauers Hours said...

You writed MUSIC? That is so awesome!

Shelene said...

You are exactly what our young women need. We love you!

Shelene said...

I am quite sure being pregnant and trying something you haven't liked for 15 years is not the best combo!