Friday, December 11, 2009

Why I Stick To Calling Family

I talked to an old friend on the phone today. For those of you without lots of little children running around your house, you might not understand the significance of that statement. Let me repeat: I Talked On the Phone With An Old Friend! I was so proud of the fact that I immediately had to call my sister to tell her the news. This is how this proud moment went: We talked for a few minutes, she had to stop and tell her kids that she wasn't changing Polly Pocket's clothes anymore, talk some more, I stop to tell my girls that they can't go out on the snowy deck in bare feet and leave the door wide open, talk a little bit more, she stops and uses her "mommy is serious" voice to inform her kids they know the rules about shutting doors on people, talk a little more, get disconnected, call back, talk some more, I stop to tell my girls to turn off the water and get out of the bathroom, talk some more, accidentally disconnect again, call back to give a formal goodbye. You get the picture. Of course there were children clamoring in the background, crying, etc. When I got off the phone and walked around the house, I discovered what happens when I'm partially inattentive to the girls. The table had a HUGE puddle of syrup (although in there defense they did try to wipe it up with a rag), they had syrup all over their faces, clothes, etc, they had tracked snow in, their room looked like a bomb went off....You get the picture. Needless to say, phone calls with friends are a luxury that I don't indulge in frequently :) So all you friends out there who might feel bad that I'm not keeping in touch, I'm sorry. It's not that I don't care or want to maintain a friendship, I just don't know that anything I have to say is worth the production a simple phone call turns into :)

2 comments:

Schauers Hours said...

Yes, I felt guilty just taking 2 minutes in the doorway talking to you the other day. You are an amazing mom!

M said...

AND IT WAS WORTH EVERY SINGLE SECOND. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!