Monday, December 17, 2007

Reckless Abandon

I admire how my kids give themselves over completely to their play. Avery's favorite pastime is pretending to be anything other than herself. For a while, she preferred to be a kitty ("Avery do you want this?" "No, Meow." She would never forget that she was a kitty either, never missing the "meow" addition. Now though, she prefers to be "Callie" her cousin who is 6. Again, she never forgets who she is, and refuses to answer to anything other than "Callie." What I love though, is how each day the world she lives in becomes more elaborate. A few days after she became "Callie" I was suddenly "Ashlee" (Callie's Mom). The next day, John became "Brett" (Callie's Dad). The day after that, Carston was "Jace" (Callie's brother). I really had to laugh though when I came in to find her talking and playing with Macy. "Hi Drakey Drakey! Are you so happy Drakey Drake?" Of course, Drake would be Callie's baby brother. I'm just glad that nothing so insignificant as gender would hold her back from creating the world she desires to live in. I'm just wondering who will be Bron (the only person in Callie's family who is without representation in Avery's world). If anyone has a spare person lying around who could stand in for Bron, I'm sure Avery would be very appreciative. Oops. I mean Callie would be very appreciative.

6 comments:

Amber said...

I love her immagination! That is awesome!
You asked what games we play together as a family. We have the typical kid games: memory, Candy Land etc. We play alot of games that are above their level and then have teams or help them out. But recently we bought the game "Set" and Jacob is learning how to do that one on his own. It is great. Then I bought them a new game called "Blink" for Christmas. It is suppose to be a speed game but we will just do it slower and play with them. You can tell we are kind of addicted to playing games together. We have A LOT of games. That is a long answer to a short question. Sorry.
Have a wonderful Christmas Natalie!! You have a beautiful family!

The Alands said...

Natalie,

Thanks for the Christmas card. You're family is so cute.

KarliSue said...

Natalie,
Our kids are so much alike. While I was reading this blog. I felt like I was reading about my little girl Kiana. Except she is a girl named Kelly.

We need to get together soon. Karston keeps asking me to let him call his best friend Carston with a C.

I hope you have a great Christmas!

Love,
Karli

Susanna said...

Your kids are so adorble, I can't wait for mine to start pretending to be other people, it shows that they are developing and growing just right!!!

KarliSue said...

Natalie,
I just had to tell you this. Karston informed me today that he is changing the way I spell his name. He says he wants to be Karston with a "C" He has been writing his name everywhere all over the house Carston. He wants to be just like your Carston.

Jan said...

Thanks for the laugh, you write a good story.