Saturday, December 8, 2007

What Gift Can You Give


I've been struggling with Christmas. Especially with a certain person whose name starts with an "S". I hate the commercialism and how the "S" person really detracts from the celebration of the birth of Jesus. I feel like Christmas could be such a powerful time for our children (as well as ourselves) to feel the spirit, and be touched by the love of our Savior, and show our love for him. I've been racking my brain for how I could take him out of the picture, but John thinks I'd permanently damage our children's pysches if I did that. So don't worry, I have not become the grinch. But Carston said some things the other day that made me so happy because it meant that he was really understanding why we have Christmas. He got so excited talking about how in a few more days it would be Jesus' birthday. Then he was asking me how we could give him a present. I explained that since we don't see him, we give him a present by doing things that would make him happy. I asked him if he had any ideas about things that would make Jesus happy, and he said that he wanted to make him a card. He said we can send it in the mail. We were making a list later of all the people that he'd like to give gifts to, and he wanted to put Jesus and Heavenly Father on the list. That made me cry.
I'm grateful that we have this Christmas season to really think about the Savior: his birth, his life, and love, and his sacrifice. I'm glad that it gives me the opportunity to contemplate my life and the changes I can make as an emblem of gratitude and love for all that he has given.

4 comments:

Amber said...

Natalie, you are such a sweet wonderful Mom! Thank you for your example and for this post. It is a wonderful reminder to us all.

KarliSue said...

Natalie,
You are such a great Mom!!! Carston acts this way because he has such a great example in you!

McArthur Family said...

I was going to tell you that your son is like that because you are a great mom...but I guess a few people thought the same thing. :) It is true though! Can't wait to see you in January (I talked to Emily today).

Breanne said...

Natalie- I love reading your blog, you are such an inspiration to me. It makes me realize that there are alot of things that I need to work on as an individual and as a mother. You are doing a great job, keep it up :)