
Grandma I miss you so much! The day you left changed our home forever. Without your bright spirit there, there is a void that just can’t be filled. It’s hard to walk in your room and not see your face light up and your eyes sparkle.Your bed just looks so desolate. There are days I would give anything to just run in and hear you say, “Hello dear. Dick, it’s our sweet little angel…” All the times that I spent with you reading, painting your nails, looking through photographs, fixing your hair, feeding you, and just talking with you are memories I never want to forget. I learned more at the side of your bed than I could ever learn at any church or university. You are an incredible teacher because you taught through love and example. Grandma you taught me:
• Happiness is a choice that comes from being grateful.
• There is no one that you cannot love.
• Holding hands with your husband keeps you close.
• To be clean and orderly shows character.
• Complaining won’t solve anything.
• It’s important to take interest in everyone’s lives--- make them feel important.
• To relate everything back to the Savior—there is nothing he cannot help you with.
• Prayer is real. It works. Pray for others. Include details in your prayers, and know that God hears you.
• It takes humility to let others serve you.
• Smile and laugh even when it hurts. Laughter gets you through hard times.
• Don’t criticize. You’ll find more meaning in your relationships if you just accept people the way they are and appreciate all the good things they do.
• Listen to people. Don’t focus the conversation entirely on you.
• Be open about life experiences. Know that others may learn from difficult things you’ve been through.
• Always have a temple recommend. Even when you are 89 and can’t walk to the bathroom keep a current temple recommend. Show your dedication to being worthy.
• Celebrate everything there is to be celebrated. Life is wonderful. Embrace it.
• Focus your life on your family. They are the only ones that will be there in the end standing by your bed saying goodbye.
• Keep your mind active. Read all that you can and make the effort to talk to people.
• A phone call and a message may be just what somebody needs- never repress a kind thought.
• Don’t put value on worldly possessions even if you like nice things.
• Don’t be selfish. Think about others even if you think you are in need.
• Appreciate nature and the beautiful things in life. Even if you can only see it through a window.
• Love people. They can see it in your eyes if you love them. Find a way to truly love every one.
• Build people up. Let them know you believe in them whether it’s an intimidated grandchild or a qualified nurse.
• Be honest. Never change the truth to benefit yourself.
• No matter how old you get don’t be too old to love to dance to the beat of the music. Even if your body won’t allow you to move more than your hands.
• Find joy in children and babies. Even if they don’t go crazy about you recognize the beauty, innocence, and humor of children.
• Don’t bad mouth anyone. Nobody wants to hear you speak poorly about someone else.
• Work hard. Cook for your family and show your love for them by serving them.
• Don’t allow personal illnesses and setbacks to keep you from living a meaningful life full of love. • Stand by people, like your husband, even when he’s struggling.
• It’s ok to be 89 and still get jealous when someone says your sweetheart is cute, even if they are 50 years younger and have no intention of making a move.
• Dr. Pepper really is the best medicine.
• To sit on your porch, with the man you love, having a drink is always something to smile about. • Mostly I learned to love. Love fully. Love deeply. Love without holding back. Love everyone.
3 comments:
That is so sweet. I usually go to the rec really early or really late, depends on the day. When do you go? I was thinking maybe we could try to get together sometime next week. Are you going to be around, if so I will call Britney, Tallie and Krystine.
P.S. I love Chelsey, she really is amazing. She and Katie can always make me laugh.
I love it too! I made myself a copy. And I must say a big THANKS!! Because I know that I was right next to you guys in that picture all large and in charge at 7 1/2 months prego. SOOOOO glad I didn't write something amazing so you'd have to include me! ha ha! Love your guts.
Post a Comment