Thursday, May 8, 2008

Am I really THAT old?


So this post is all about me. I got a new calling on Sunday. I was the Beehive Advisor for the last few months. When the Bishop said he wanted to meet with me, I thought I was so smart and I knew what calling he would give me. The 1st counselor is moving next month, so I figured that would be the new call. So anyway, he came over on Monday night, and when he said the call was about the Young Women's, I couldn't help but blurt out, "Oh, I totally called it!" with a big stupid grin on my face. He looked at me a little weird, and then he asked me if I would be the President. So of course I had to ask if he was joking. He was kind 0f nodding his head, so I thought he was playing a cruel joke. But he quickly realized what he was doing and shook his head no to indicate he was indeed serious. So now I have to ask, am I seriously THAT old? I really feel like I was in Young Women's just a few years ago. I guess I like to think of myself as a young newlywed, but apparently I've been living a fantasy. So yeah, I'm old and mature. And I felt like an imposter whenever I have to stand up and be in charge. Seriously, I still buy my clothes in the same section as all these girls. I might accidently show up for an activity with a matching outfit and completely traumatize some poor young woman who will be so embarrassed to be wearing the same thing as some OLD LADY!

On a more serious note, I am very humbled to have such a responsibility. I kind of broke down the first few days as I struggled to find counselors and thought about the great leaders who served before, and all these sweet girls for whom I am in some way responsible for. In Jacob 4:7 it says, "Nevertheless, the Lord God showeth us our weakness that we may know that it is by his grace, and his great condescensions unto the children of men, that we have power to do these things." I know better than anyone else that by myself I am not capable of doing what is required of me. But I also know that if I do the things that will bring the Spirit into my life, and take my concerns to the Lord, and follow the directions I am given, he will magnify my efforts and miracles will happen. He has done it before. And it will serve as a further testimony to me of his power and his ability to work miracles regardless of how inadequate his servant is.

11 comments:

Mike and Lindsey Ploeger said...

Wow Natalie congrats on your new calling you will be so good at it! Youre too funny, you are so not an old lady! Yes I chopped my hair I was getting so sick of doing it and its way too hot here to have long hair. You would look so cute with your hair short you should totally do it after Chelseas wedding!

Stacy said...

Natalie, I think you will be a great YW president. You are so kind, thoughtful, and fun! The girls will be love you. And as for the clothes - I think they will think it is awesome that their leader is cool enough to wear clothes like them. And you are so not old! Good luck - you will be great!

The Alands said...

Natalie, you will be an awesome president. those girls are lucky! I was hoping that you were going to say they called you as the RS president. That would really age us. You will be great, congrats!!

Jen said...

That is great! I say this because I know you will be so awesome. Thats what these young women need. Someone young and fun that they can turn 2. You will be so great ! You are young and beautiful! Love Jen

Breanne said...

I know that you will be great! And really you aren't that old! But it's weird for me because I'm a year older! But we all know that it's not about your age, it's about your abilities.
Just remember the ward theme: "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me"

O'BRIEN FAMILY BLOG said...

oh girl imagine being called to the RS presidency in the heart of mormon country where there are more than enough older adequate women to lead ... then you feel old! your a doll and so spiritual i cant imagine a better YW leader than you! young or old!

Kim said...

You are too funny - I know how you feel! But think about how your Y.W. must feel. I'm sure they think they have the most hip President ever!=)

geri said...

Ah, Natalie. I understand. They just called our new YW presidency, I'm the 1st counselor and our awesome new president is just a year older than us. Are we really at that point now? You will do a great job, the girls are lucky!

Mom said...

Natalie, it's ok. I will say what everyone else won't say: yes, you ARE that old. :) You know I love you! And as the consensus states, you WILL be a great YW Pres... we all know you and believe in you and what you're capable of doing because you stand out as a great example already. Lots of loves to you!

Schauers Hours said...

I've never met anyone who rises to challenge as well as you. You are a great example to me, and will be for the young women.

KarliSue said...

Natalie
There could be no better Young Women President! You will do such a amazing job. I think about my own daughter and the type of Leaders I want her to have one day. You would be one of those people Natalie. You are amazing!!!!