So we left off with Carston having a blessing and saying his ear didn't hurt. He even wanted to go play at his friends house. Well, at 4:15, right when I was going to call him home, he walked in the door crying and saying his ear hurt again. So off to the doctor where he was diagnosed with a double ear infection (Count at this point is 8 ears, 5 infections). He is crying in so much pain that not only does the doctor prescribe antibiotics, but numbing ear drops as well. We trudge off to Target to get the prescriptions with only 1 hour left before I'm supposed to be at young women's. When we get there, they tell me that they haven't received the prescription from the doctor's office. I ask if I should call over there, they say to wait a bit. Meanwhile Carston is crying pretty hard and loud because his ears are killing him. They decide to call, only to get the message for after hours. Ugh. One of the techs starts feeling so bad for Carston that he goes out into the aisle and brings me some herbal ear pain reliever in an attempt to ease Carston's pain. Of course he doesn't want me to put it in his ears, so all these strangers are asking if I want them to help me hold him down. I decide to use my powers of persuasion instead and he eventually lets me. Not that it matters because it didn't do anything. Finally they tell me that they got the order from the doctor. Yeah, I think we can get the stuff, get it in his ears, and ease the pain. Um, no. Remember how this day didn't want to be uncomplicated? So the guy comes over to tell me that they are out of the generic brand of the numbing drops, they won't get more in until tomorrow (yeah right, do you hear my child), and that the name-brand one is like 150 dollars. Okay, seriously this stuff has to end right? So I ask if I can just take the prescription somewhere else. He's helpful and calls it over to Smith's. So we get the antibiotics and decide to head over there, only now it is time for me to be at young women's, and I don't think I can just not go because we need drivers and two other leaders already aren't coming. We're heading to the car and I'm trying to call my mom to see if she can help, I look behind the car to see if it is clear to back out, and there are seriously about 50 carts piled up behind my car blocking my way! Okay seriously. That was just over the top. Of all the times in the day, of all the aisles in the parking lot, the employee picked then and there? It was at that point that I felt like I was in a comedy where they are just so over the top showing how everything went wrong in someone's day. So I'm crying on the phone to my mom, trying to call John and arrange something about the other medicine, and trying to do a 360 point turn to get out of the stupid parking lot! I get to our house, leave Carston crying on the stairs, and run over to the church. So obviously when I get there, I've just had the climax of my day, and I'm pretty much in tears. After about 1 minute, my counselor tells me they have enough drivers and sends me home, this while the priesthood brethren and the young women are all staring at me like I've gone mental. Ah. So I go back and get the numbing ear drops and then head home to my house full of sick children and we try to get through a very difficult night. The rest of the night, I just kept thinking of the shopping carts and it would make me laugh. I realized that the thing that really put me over the edge was having to see my children suffer. To be with Carston crying in pain for over 2 hours was just awful. I could probably have handled all the other annoyances just fine, but it kills me to see my kids suffer. Anyway, so 2 office visits, 2 pharmacy trips, 8 immunizations, 6 prescriptions, and over 200 dollars later, the day was over. Crazy day, but I was thinking about it in the shower later. If I was dead and could only have one more day with my family, and it was this day, I'd take it in a second. Even though it was difficult and trying, I'd take it and be grateful to have it. Regardless of what is going on, there is always enough love and joy in each day to make you grateful for it. Still, I hope that we won't have another day like that for a long, long, long, long time :)
8 comments:
Holy Cow Natalie. You are amazing! I probably would have just gone totally nuts and freaked out! I hope those $150 ear drops helped!
In answer to your questions. We did take Marissa with us and it wasn't too bad but we went in the late afternoon before it got busy. If we would have had to wait a long time I would have gone nuts with her. But she was good for the most part and there were other little ones there. But the last day is March 14th to go through it. But there is the other temple that will be open soon. It was a very good thing for the kids - they loved it.
Oh Nat! It's days like that I wish I was there to help you. Not fun. I love you. Hope all those little ears get better way fast! What's with our kids and ear infections? Hope your day is better today. You deserve a medal.
Oh my Nat!! That is crazy!! I totally would have freaked out! Fyi: I like to go to Walgreen's for my prescriptions because they have a drive thru!! I switched because it always ended up that my kids would fall asleep in the car on the way home from the dr's.
You know you can always call me if you need help! I'm always here!
I hope that the medicine works and that they all get better fast! At least Kate is healthy, right :)
Seriously, you have to laugh or you just cry. You have had more than your fair share of sick babies, sleepless night and being worried sick. Let's hope it gets better soon!
Natalie,
Your blog wore me out just reading it. I hope the kids are better soon, love ya. Kristy
Oh Natalie, you are seriously one of the most amazing women I know. I am impressed you can look back over the day and be grateful and laugh. What an amazing example!! I am sorry to hear your kids have been so sick. I'll keep your sweet family in my prayers.
Kate looks beautiful in her blessing dress! And both your other girls look happy and healthy in the picture. Hopefully that was a sick free day for you.
Wow that is an unbeatable crazy day. I was wishing the whole time I was reading I was there helping you or something! I'm so impressed you were able to be grateful despite it all.
At this point I'd be all about tubes!
Post a Comment