The other day, I walked into the kitchen and found this. Normally I don't think twice when I see cups like this, but for some reason this day, I got a little sad. I know there will come a day when there is no one at our house who will "rescue" these dandelions and give them the nourishment they need :) I had to snag a picture. It made me think about all the things I'll miss when my kids are grown:
I will miss Avery's cups of water with dandelions in them. I will miss Carston asking me to sing him a song before he goes to sleep. I will miss chubby legs and cheeks. I will miss Kate sprawled out in the car seat in a deep sleep. I will miss Carston singing with me in the car. I will miss Macy singing "la la la" while she twirls around. I will miss Kate's "O" smile. I will miss them shouting out "IKEA!" whenever they see the blue and yellow sign. I will miss all the mispronounced words. I will miss the endless supply of coloring pages and art projects-none of which can be thrown away. I will miss kids crawling around for hours with a ribbon around their waist because they are either a kitty or a doggy. I will miss how quick my kids are to forgive or say sorry so we can be friends again. I will miss the constant hugs, kisses, and snuggles. I will miss the constant desire to learn and understand things. I will miss cute footsie pajamas. I will miss bedtime stories. I will miss hearing, "Mommy, I want you to play with me."
I am so grateful for my kids, so grateful that I get to spend each day with them. There are some things from this young age that I definitely won't miss (diapers, the high chair, carseats, stair gates, endless colds and illnesses, etc). But there are so many things I love that won't be around forever. It is days like these where I feel peace knowing the dishes can wait, the laundry can be folded later, the floor will survive a while longer without being cleaned, the bathrooms will be waiting for me...everything unimportant can just wait. Because my kids and I only get this time once, and I don't want to waste it.
5 comments:
I love this post. I was just thinking about this the other day. Your kids are adorable.
So true. I miss all those things, but how lucky am I to get to experience them through precious little grandchildren. I better quit reading your blog and get my talk.
Love, Mom
Beautiful and so true! Thanks for sharing the simple wonderful things that children bring. You are an amazing mom!
don't be too sad, i'm sure they'll be stuff you can't wait to miss...like ear infections!
Post a Comment