Friday, February 22, 2008

I'm the Best Pianist in the World!

Everyone is so nice to wish me well. I'm starting to wonder if I should go to the doctor because I think I've been sick for quite awhile. I'd have to actually find a doctor to go to though since the only one I've seen since I was 18 is the one who delivers my babies.

So my plans for yesterday of laying around got cancelled. A young woman in my ward called and asked if I could accompany her while she sang a solo at her school. That night. Her other one cancelled on her. Any of you that know me well know how terrifying the thought of playing in public is for me. I was the pianist for Relief Society only because the ward was literally desperate. And even then, it took me several months of playing before I felt like I had my nerves under control. So I asked her if she had tried another girl in the ward. She already had. I felt bad for her, so I told her to bring her music over and I would see if I thought I could play it. I made her go home while I practiced because I was too nervous (or prideful) to play in front of her. I decided to do it. That night, I was really nervous, but in a way, I didn't really care. Too bad I couldn't inform my dang leg. It was literally bouncing up and down because I was shaking. I'm such a dork. And of course I made mistakes. But even if I may have looked and sounded a little bit stupid, I'm proud of myself for doing it. I want to conquer the things I fear. Maybe if I do it a few more times I won't make a complete fool of myself. Probably not though.

11 comments:

Schauers Hours said...

I am SO sorry that fell on you! I had no idea, or I would have cancelled my plans. You are so AWESOME to do that. What a great example you are to me, you will be greatly blessed!

Breanne said...

Way to go Natalie!! At least you can actually play the piano. I am a one finger player!! lol My musical talent is singing, and I don't even do that very often. :)

KarliSue said...

HURRAY FOR NATALIE!!

It is so hard to overcome fears and I am so impressed by you! I know I couldn't have done that! You will be blessed. I admire you more and more each day!

The Alands said...

I'm so impressed. I wish I could paly the piano. Are you feeling better? Just to let you know I am very aware that Tyler is a little slow. He can't crawl yet and he has no teeth, hopefully one of these days he will catch up, he takes after his mom!

Heather O'Brien said...

Good job Nat! You're awesome! I think I would pee my pants if I had to do that. You are amazing.

Susanna said...

I am so with you about playing in public. I took piano for eight years, but even playing hymns at church freaks me out.
Good for you!!!

Susanna said...

P.S.
Thanks for your sweet post about your journal entry from Lake Powell. I was so self concious in High School, sometimes I wish I could go back and not care what people thought of me.
You made my day!

Mom said...

You are incredible to be able to do that, Natalie! I've had to play the flute in public many times (for practice is what I was told) and I hated every bit of it. Congrats on doing it and doing well despite the fear. And YES, my blog's now up and running. Like I told Heather, I blame her but especially and more importantly YOU!! :) Love you!

geri said...

Another example of how you are one of the most talented (and kind) girl I know!

Lindsay said...

Hey Nat. Ash just told me you had a blog too! I had no idea you played the piano...shows how much I know. Your kids look SO darling in these pictures. Love the big Macy Sunflower!

Amber said...

Yeah Natalie!! You are awesome to face your fear. I am terrified of playing the piano too. But lucky for me no one is desperate enough to ask =).