Thursday, November 11, 2010

I'm living my mother's life!

When I was growing up, I remember a lot of grape juice. This wasn't the kind that you bought at the store; we had jars of it downstairs in the basement on the food storage shelves. My Aunt had grapevines and my mom and her would make juice and bottle it. My aunt called me about a month ago and asked me if I was interested in learning how to do it. Canning is one of those things I've always wanted to learn more about so I said yes. It was fun hanging out with her and my mom as they taught me the process. We used a steamer and that worked pretty well. It took quite awhile to do all the grapes she had, but my mom was so nice to come back another night and stay late while we finished. I also ended up making some jelly (or jam, I don't really know the difference!). I did that part by myself so I hope it turned out well. In the end, I ended up with over 3 dozen jars of concentrated grape juice and 1/2 a dozen jars of jelly. It took several nights, so I had to keep telling John, "You're going to LOVE this grape juice!"



PS. If anyone has a juice steamer or a steam canner they don't want, I'd love to buy them!

3 comments:

Heather O'Brien said...

Did we grow up in the same house? Because I honestly don't remember grape juice, the cans in the storage or that mom did this :). ha ha! Guess I live in my own world. That's cool you learned how. You are so domestic.

Schauers Hours said...

I have a juice steamer you can have! You might not want it once you see it though, its a bit strange.

geri said...

I LOVE homemade grape juice. That's the only kind I like. I'm super jealous. :) Way to go!!!