Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Ignorant Mother :)

I thought I'd post about this just in case it happens to anyone else.

Avery was sick. She was all congested. I was so happy that she had her ear tubes because otherwise I knew we would have been dealing with another ruptured eardrum. I felt like we were safe and she'd just have to pass through the annoyance of a cold. After a few days though she began complaining that her head hurt. After looking stuff up, I figured she must have a sinus infection. I'm a little dumb and didn't know that those should be treated with antibiotics. So I kept giving her medicine and we were suffering through the weekend. She was pretty miserable, but she did much better with medicine in her. Then came Sunday night. Her eye started swelling up like crazy. It was pretty weird. So first thing Monday I called and made an appointment. Good thing.

We went in and the doctor told us she had periorbital cellulitis. This is where the infection spreads to the soft tissue around the eye (hence the swelling). It can be dangerous because it can quickly travel into the eyeball itself and then up the optic nerve into the brain. CRAZY. They had to give her an immediate dose of medicine at the office by way of injection (I loved how the doctor was so careful to avoid any mention of the word "shot"). It was this awful shot that required a huge needle and took forever. They put numbing medication in it as well because it is so painful. We both were crying by the time it was over. The Barbie movie she got to buy at the store when we went to get her medicine helped her feel a little bit better.

Anyway, just in case anyone else is ignorant like me...Sinus Infections Can Be Dangerous :)

No comments: