There is a network of homeschoolers that I recently discovered (WHEN). They are amazing. They organize so many awesome events on their own time and energies because they are things they believe in. They get together for plays, ski lessons, Heber Valley Railroad, Geography Bees, PE classes, art and drama classes, etc. And all of these things are at a crazy discounted price since they are for school. It is awesome. Anyway, they had a spelling bee. Carston's meticulous mind makes him a good speller and he wanted to do it. I thought it would be a good experience for him to be up in public and all that jazz (he doesn't know anyone from the group). He didn't spend a lot of time practicing words, so I was interested to see how things would go.
It was SO entertaining! There were about 19 little 1st and 2nd graders in his group. It was very formal and professional with microphones and rules etc. I felt so bad for some of them. They walked up to get their first (easy) word, and their nerves got the better of them. They were out before they even got going. It was sad because they were surprised to have to sit down, and I'm sure some of them practiced for hours. Anyway, it was awesome to watch. One little girl got mad when she got out and tried to say she wasn't done spelling yet. Some of them spit their words out as fast as they could while some dragged them out forever. Carston was super cute up there. I seriously love that boy. He did great and was up there until almost the end. He got out on the word gene. It was kind of funny because he knew the words from the younger lists, so we were concentrating on the words from like 6th or 7th grade. He got 4th place. It went forever so part of me was glad someone was getting knocked out even if it was my own son. If I'm going to be honest :) It was awesome though. He was quite excited by his goody bag and liked getting a shake afterwords. Did I mention that I love this boy? He is a good kid and has developed lots of courage :)
It was SO entertaining! There were about 19 little 1st and 2nd graders in his group. It was very formal and professional with microphones and rules etc. I felt so bad for some of them. They walked up to get their first (easy) word, and their nerves got the better of them. They were out before they even got going. It was sad because they were surprised to have to sit down, and I'm sure some of them practiced for hours. Anyway, it was awesome to watch. One little girl got mad when she got out and tried to say she wasn't done spelling yet. Some of them spit their words out as fast as they could while some dragged them out forever. Carston was super cute up there. I seriously love that boy. He did great and was up there until almost the end. He got out on the word gene. It was kind of funny because he knew the words from the younger lists, so we were concentrating on the words from like 6th or 7th grade. He got 4th place. It went forever so part of me was glad someone was getting knocked out even if it was my own son. If I'm going to be honest :) It was awesome though. He was quite excited by his goody bag and liked getting a shake afterwords. Did I mention that I love this boy? He is a good kid and has developed lots of courage :)
1 comment:
What a cutie! Loved reading all your new posts. Way to blog it up. Love you.
Post a Comment