Saturday, April 26, 2008

It's Been Awhile

So it has been awhile since I've posted. I blame it all on my Ho (my sister Heather). She flew out here last minute and spent two weeks hanging out. It was so much fun. My heart always goes out to those sisterless people in the world. I try to tell myself that I won't get my hopes up that they'll move back here for residency, but who am I kidding. If they decide to go somewhere else, I will definitely gain 20 pounds from all the chocolate I'll need to console myself. Especially now that Chelsey is moving to Chicago with her soon-to-be HUSBAND (yep, she's officially engaged)!
Anyway, we all had lots of fun with Heather and her little Hallie. This was the first time that the kids have all been able to have fun playing with each other. Hallie especially enjoyed MAY-MEE (Macy). She would wake up saying her name. Avery also apparently taught Hallie to be a kitty, Heather said she crawls around at home now saying meow. Way to spread the World of Meow Avery (we always did encourage our kids to dream big).Grandpa being crazy at the Children's Museum! Everyone snuggling up in Avery's Toddler Bed

Heather and I were also able to go with my Grandma Janice to her line dancing class at the Senior Friendship Center. It was my favorite event of the week. It was fun to see my Grandma doing something that she enjoyed (and she was the best one there). She kept requesting the songs that were a quicker pace, and I have to admit that I was seriously concerned that the 80+ instructor was going to have a heart attack (apparently he just got out of surgery)! I just like really getting into people's lives and understanding them on a deeper level. And hey, after not being able to get into a dance class for several years, I can appreciate any opportunity. So thanks Grandma for inviting us. It's too bad I can't get to your yoga class!

Before Heather came, I was working on a project, and I really wanted to do a post about it because I was so proud (also because it had nothing to do with my kids!) When my mom was a little girl, my grandpa made this kitchen cabinet for her to play with. It was passed down to her kids when she had them, so I also played with it when I was little. To make a long story short, I came into possession of it just recently. I decided to refinish it and make it look nice for my girls to play with. I'm pretty proud of how it turned out, and I love the fact that it is a special heirloom that holds so many memories and love. So here are some before and after pictures.


10 comments:

Susanna said...

I love turning something that someone is going to throw away into something cute for the house. I think it turned out so adroable!

Susanna said...

P.S. It really bugs me that you have had three children and you look the same as you did in high school, better even!!!

Stacy said...

Wow Natalie - that is awesome. I am impressed. Sounds like fun to have your sister here. I know what you mean about having sisters - it is a great thing.

Lindsay said...

Wow Nat! You are crafty beyond all recognition! Proud of you! And it will always mean a lot to them that it has been handed down through the family and made pretty by their mommy!

Laura said...

Hey, good job refinishing that, it looks really really good! Very crafty! And I love that you went to dance with the senior citizens. That looks like it's at the Eldridge Center... is it? Do you remember that place? Haha! Good old random performance places with Colleen! That's so weird that you mentioned her in your comment, because I seriously had a dream about her like a few nights ago and I was doing something (not dance) and she was yelling at me and telling me to do it again and better!! She ruined me for life! I'm always going to be afraid now! Haha!

Amber said...

I am glad you had a great time with your sisters!
Great job on refinishing that. It is adorable!

Heather O'Brien said...

Oh I had SOOO much fun with you. Seriously, I'm so lucky to have my sisters. Miss you already. Hallie's been saying "Maymee" non stop and pretending she's a cat, dog and duck. Thanks Avery! Can't wait for June! Watch out! Large marge is coming. Maybe I can reinact your pictures last year on the beach. ha ha.

Breanne said...

I absolutley love that cabinet!! It looks so pretty, and I love the fabric on the doors! Where did you find it?!

Whitney Jensen said...

Natalie - you sure are crafty! I'm impressed - not only with the product, but with how you found time to do it! Thanks for inviting me to your blog! Whitney

The Alands said...

Seriously Natalie, I am going to have to hire you out to come help me with my house. You did a great job, it looks great.