I'm warning you right now that there are some disgusting pictures coming up. So when we were looking for a house, most of them didn't have a master bath. I think master baths weren't such a big deal back in the 80's. We were excited that our house had one. It was interesting that we ended up in our house. I can't even tell you how many houses we went through, how many offers didn't pan out. The house we are in now was a definite fixer-upper. It was in pretty poor condition. Little did I know that I would LOVE fixing it up. Well, one of the last things on the list was the master bath. And I'll tell you right now, we didn't go into this project with a whole lot of knowledge. But we learned what we needed to get the job done. I love taking on something and learning how to do new things. When people hear about all the things we've done in our house, I'm often asked how we know how to do it all. And the answer is we don't. But we do know how to research and find the answers, and we're willing to have confidence in ourselves that eventually we'll figure it out. So here is the story. And I wish I had better before pictures, but it didn't start out with us thinking we were going to change so much :)
Now to the AFTER PICTURES...
Doesn't it look awesome?! It was awhile before I quit going in there just to stare at it with satisfaction. So just what did we do? After ripping everything out, we realized there was enough room to put a tub in, so we reframed the shower part and put in the tub. We enlisted John's brother to help us out with the plumbing part. Then we put up backerboard, tiled (learned tons about that and never could have done it without my mom and dad watching the kids :). We used the same tile on the floor, put in a new toilet and a new vanity. I still want to get some glass shelves to replace the cabinet above the toilet.
We had enough room to build a shelf into the shower. I love it because it easily holds all of our stuff.
We had to put new drywall up on the ceiling, tape it, and then retexture the whole thing. John was doubtful that I could do the texture thing, but I think I proved him wrong :)
Here is the floor. We got all the tile at Home Depot. John's brother was in construction for a long time, and told us we could use liquid nails for the floor tiles. It worked great, and made that part of the project go fast. We used liquid nails for our countertop tiles four years ago and haven't had any problems. I was doubtful at first, but I'm a believer now :)
Here's another shot of the shower. I love the new fixtures.
We had a little mishap with the vanity. John was trying to surprise me while I was away for the weekend by getting everything finished up. He soon learned that it wasn't so easy to multitask while watching all four kids. Macy pulled the sink top off which split the sink in two and cracked one of the newly laid tiles. He stopped trying to get it done after that :) Home Depot was amazing though and replaced the sink top for free. I'm now a huge fan of their customer service :)
Here it is after we got it replaced. I love this vanity. The cabinet is shallower than the sink, which really helps to open up the small space.
So there is our major project. I'm very happy with how everything turned out. There are still a few things I'd like to change (mirror and cabinet) but it looks pretty nice. It was a lot of work, but now I know how to tile, how to hook up toilets and sinks and new shower fixtures, how to texture a ceiling, etc. And hopefully this will give our house an edge when it comes time to put it on the market.
4 comments:
Holy Cow! It looks amazing Nat! Seriously, I LOVE it. I can't wait to show OB. He will be super impressed. That is alot of work. I think we would be trouble if we lived by each other because we would neglect our kids to do all these fun projects. Miss you! Way to go.
The bathroom looks amazing!!! I bet you are so happy to have a cabinet now instead of a pedistal sink. So awesome to have a tub too! Great job guys!
UM....there is a toothbrush in your shower!
AWESOME!!!!! I love it guys! What a ton of work! That looks like the tile we have for our master bath. I love it! Beautifully done!Now we just need to get ours done...
Post a Comment