Sunday, June 12, 2011

Dear Carston

Dear Carston,
I am so grateful for you. I feel so privileged to be your mother. This last year, you have experienced a lot of growth. This year brought a lot of changes and you handled them well and grew to be as strong as you needed. We made a big change with your schooling this year. We decided to homeschool most of the time, and then you started a new school for about an hour a few days a week. That first week was pretty challenging for you. You didn't know anyone in your class and didn't have any buddies to play with at recess. My heart ached for you each day when you'd get out of the car to go, until the time you'd climb back in when it was over. But you did it. You went to school, and eventually you made some good friends. I was so pleased with you for doing something that was hard.
I've really enjoyed getting to spend more time with you each day and being such a big part of your education. When we first started, you would whine about your work and things you had to do, you'd want me to do everything with you, you'd get upset if things were challenging....And now, you just do amazing. You've really grown in how you handle yourself. You've learned that it's okay if things are hard. You've learned all about having to practice things over and over. We were both so pleased when you mastered your multiplication tables. You've just done awesome in taking responsibility for yourself. I am very impressed with how much you've matured this last school year.
Another big thing that has made me so happy is the decision you made to read the Book of Mormon before you were baptized. I didn't want to push you to do it, and there were several times I told you it was okay to change your mind, but YOU wanted to do it. You worked so diligently each day reading at least 2 chapters. I was always excited when you'd come tell me about something you were reading. It was so neat to see that you could feel the Holy Ghost as you read. I hope you'll always keep reading the Book of Mormon because there is a great power that comes when you read each day. I know that you've felt that these past few months. I noticed on the days when you read before doing your schoolwork, you did better concentrating and focusing on what you needed to get done.
Another thing I've noticed about you this last year is how much you have grown in serving our family. You have become so helpful and are almost always willing to help me out when I ask you. You are a great help with your sisters and Sadie. I love and appreciate that so much.
I love how kind you are to your sisters Carston. The other day at the movies, Kate came and snuggled up on your lap. You let her climb on up and you rubbed her back and talked so sweetly to her. That just melted my heart. That is the kind of man I want you to be. I want you to be kind and sensitive to the sweet women who will be a part of your future family.
You are a lot of fun Carston. I love hearing you sing (you've got a great voice). I love when you wander over to the piano and play your songs when it isn't even time to practice. I love how excited you get to play sports. I love that you have an active imagination. I love that you play well with all your friends and try to not leave anyone out. I love that you ask almost every day if you can play with Bron. I love that you always come find me when you wake up in the morning to say, "Morning, mom." I love that you always call out from bed at night, "Hug and Kiss Mom!" I love that you stop reading books, turn off games, and stop watching shows if there is something inappropriate in them. I love that you are willing to do things (like meet with the Bishop or sing at your baptism) even if it makes you nervous. I love that you are developing self control by not eating treats for a month. I love you.
You are a great kid Carston. As I watched you today, I thought about how pleased Heavenly Father must be with you. You are truly trying to develop yourself and make good decisions. I hope you will always know how much I love you. I will do my very best to be the best mother I can for you. I want you to develop yourself and your talents so that you can be the instrument that God wants. I want you to know that you are a child of God, that He loves you very much, that He knows and loves you. I want you to grow up and have a family and be a righteous husband and father.
I love you Carston. I can't believe that my little baby boy is now 8 years old. I hope I cherish every second with you because it is going by way too quickly!
Love Mom

1 comment:

Heather O'Brien said...

Gosh, you made me cry. I love Carston. He is such a special little boy. I was just looking of pictures yesterday of him when he was a baby. And you are such an amazing mom. Thanks for your example.