Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Lives Greater Than Lectures






I've been thinking about my Grandma a lot. The simplest things remind me of her and make me cry, because I miss her. I think about her when I put my groceries away and have a big stack of plastic grocery bags. I think about her when I use my hand sanitizer. I think about her when my kids want to dance. I think about her when people are holding hands. But I think about her the most and miss her the most when I'm with my Grandpa. It is so hard to see him without her. The scriptures talk about becoming one with your spouse, and they had accomplished that. But now that she's gone, he really is missing half of himself. I am so grateful that I was able to grow up in the same house as them. They never gave a lecture, but they lived their lives so that you knew what they believed. And you could see the happiness it brought them to do what was right. I know I am a better person because of their examples.

Carston: Grandma Gladys is a huggy grandma (I love that he said "is").
Me: You mean Grandma Robin?
Carston: No. Grandma Gladys.
Me: What does that mean?
Carston: It means that whenever people come, then you just hug them lots and lots.

5 comments:

mom said...

Natalie,

I love you. Thanks for keeping Grandma memories alive. Everything you say just makes me relive my life with my cute mom. The thing I am most thankful for this Thanksgiving is that I was lucky enough to have mom be MY mom. I really can't think of anything I didn't like about her. She was the most genuine, loving, real person and never did anything to hurt me in any way. What a blessing for me!! Thank you for posting pictures and thoughts about her. I LOVE to read your blog.

Mom

KarliSue said...

Natalie,
Thank you so much for the scriptures you posted on my blog they really helped me out!!

This blog totally made me cry because I was also very close to my own Grandma and miss her often. I can relate to many things you wrote about how memories will pop up and bring tears just by putting the groceries away.

Natalie I love you so much Thank you for being such a great friend to me. I am truly Thankful for you in my life.

Heather O'Brien said...

Nat, you're the best. I miss Grandma tons and I'm not reminded daily of her. So I don't know how you guys do it. I started crying in church today because they sang a song at her funeral. I'm a baby. Anyways, I'm with mom, I love that you keep Grandma memories alive. Can't wait to see you! 2 weeks!!!

Amber said...

I love those sweet pictures of your grandparents!! You can definitly see that they were "one" and that they had a very happy wonderful life together.
You are so sweet Natalie!

SandyKay said...

Nat ~ Loved it. Thanks so much for keeping this post up and for writing about Grandma. I miss her so much and I really miss being able to call her on the phone. She was a constant in all our lives. I miss visiting with Grandpa as well. He has a hard time hearing me on the phone. I think of him so often sitting down there in his chair and wish I could watch a rodeo with him.
We love you and miss seeing you more often!