Saturday, October 17, 2009

Appropriate for a 6 year old boy?

We went to the library and everyone picked out some books. Later that night we were sorting everyone's out, and I looked a little closer at one Carston had chosen.



Wait a minute....What IS this book? Is that a body on the road? No, it couldn't be. Right? Let me see what the back cover says, I'm sure it will explain the picture.

"Jimmy always told me there were only two kinds of gangbangers: those who were dead and those who were going to die. Joining a gang didn't make sense to Jimmy...Jimmy is dead now-gunned down in front of his little sister, Mina, and his brother, Tito. And Tito is left wondering: Was Jimmy in a gang after all? Ice Breaker Joe and Lamar seem to think so. They say Jimmy was skimming their drug money. And if the missing cash isn't returned, Tito may have to pay-with his life."

I just have one question...why didn't this get a Newberry Award? Maybe if we lived in the slums and I was a single mom with kids fending for themselves each day, I might be more appreciative of the subject matter.

2 comments:

Jill said...

OH, that was so funny to read! Seriously, did you make that up? JK, that's too funny that he would choose that one.

Thanks for posting that last post. It gave me chills and tears. A very good reminder for me right now. I'm so sorry you have had such a challenging week. When is rains, it pours, but the light still shines through the clouds. I saw the prettiest rainbow last week. Yours will come!

Chelsey Meier said...

So did you let him read it? lol