Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Love of Cheese

If you know my family, you know we are a cheese loving family. My little sister used to melt cheese, and only cheese, in a bowl and then eat it. We love cheese. Love it. Most of our meals revolve around it. And then there is chocolate. John likes to say that if we could dip cheese in chocolate, we'd all be in heaven. So here's the problem. Avery has to give it up. No cheese. And no milk or yogurt or butter. What in the world are we going to eat??????? Goodbye string cheeses, gogurts, bowls of cereal with milk, macaroni and cheese, ice cream, grilled cheese sandwiches, quesadillas, pizza..... Again, what in the world are we going to eat??????? I'm lucky that it isn't anything life-threatening, I don't know how I would even handle that. But still, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. If you are wondering how we arrived at this situation, here's the short version. Everyone knows the problems Avery has had with her ears. Ruptured eardrum 6 times as of Monday. Sunday night, as I was trying to comfort her through the pain, praying for guidance and help, I had the strong impression that she could be healed. Not just on this occasion, but that whatever the underlying problem was causing so much ear trouble, it could be fixed. Before John gave her a blessing that night, I told him about my feelings. After he blessed her, he said that he had the same impression, and that he felt like it would involve changing something in her diet. I've always wondered if Avery's body had a mildly negative reaction to dairy, ever since she was a baby. A visit to the allergist confirmed the suspicion. The doctor recommended various things, low dose antibiotic for a few months, nasal sprays, tubes (which I'm sure everyone wonders why I don't just do it :), as well as eliminating dairy and eggs from her diet (reaction to eggs as well). After praying and pondering about it, John and I feel like that is the route we should take. It can be hard not to beat myself up as a parent, thinking that I should've figured out the connection sooner, but I'm grateful because as I look back over the last few weeks, I see evidence of the Lord's hand guiding me to this information and decision. He truly is there in the seemingly insignificant details of our lives.
PS-Hopefully it won't be permanent. In cases like hers, it is common for them to grow out of their allergy after avoiding exposure for an extended amount of time (6-12 months).

7 comments:

Heather O'Brien said...

I'm so sorry. Seriously! What are you going to eat? I hope that it fixes Avery. That is so sad. Good luck. And P.S. Let's just be clear that it was CHELSEY that used to eat cheese melted in a bowl. NOT ME! Love your guts.

The Alands said...

Sorry Natalie, that is such a hard thing to do. I hope my dad was extra nice at your appointment. You should check out foodallergy.org there are lots of tips on it. I hope she outgrows it fast.

Schauers Hours said...

I really don't know what to tell you, after I gave up sugar all I ate was cheese (in combination with breads and meats.) Cheese/dairy is great. Poor Avery! Those ears have had to go through a lot.

Tammi said...

Hey Nat - I finally took a minute (who are we kidding - I've been at the computer longer than that)and caught up on your blog. I love what you write. You are so amazing. What a great example you are to me. Your kids are so lucky to have you as their mom. Sorry about cheese. It is so hard when your kids have to go through stuff like that. I hate watching my kids suffer. You'll get her through it. Love Ya!

Lindy Rae said...

That's too bad. But, like you said - at least it's treatable...just not ideal.

I'll keep track of any non-dairy recipes we use and pass them along.

Good luck!

SandyKay said...

OK ~ You and I have to talk this week! I had chills when I read this blog. Life did a 180 for us after I took Cy to the allergist. I can tell you this ~ when you are faced with something like this it will amaze you what you can subsitute for it or go around it. It's still very hard but hopefully she'l out grow it soon. First thing I would recommend to you is Rice Milk. Cy lived on it for several years. They also have Rice Milk icecream! Amazon has some great new food products for people with allergies. I'll try to find yu suggestions.

Love you all ~ let's talk soon. My new cell is 435-890-9671.

SandyKay said...

Oh forgot to post ~ they make an egg powder subsitute for baking. It works pretty good. I'll see if I can get the name of it.