I am always so amazed when I see the Lord's hand, working miracles, in the smaller seemingly insignificant events in my life. I know that God can exercise his power in the big important events, but for some reason, it just gets to me when He uses that same power for the smaller details of my life. It testifies to me how much He loves me and my family, how aware He is of our lives, our thoughts, and our feelings. Yesterday Avery had to go to the dentist for the first time. As I talked with John last night, I was saying how I wished he could understand how much of a miracle the whole event was. He understood what I was telling him, but he'd never had the experience of taking Avery to the doctor, therefore he didn't know like I knew how miraculous her behavior at the dentist was. When I have to take Avery to the doctor, I cringe...because I know how awful it will be. As soon as we start walking down the hall, she starts crying and yelling and freaking out. Everything that has to be done there, we have to hold her down and force her. Getting her weight, letting the doctor listen to her heart, look in her ears, eyes, throat... Needless to say, I dread taking her. So you can understand my hesitation in going to the dentist. But I decided that I would ask God to grant us a miracle. He did it when Carston had to get his Kindergarten shots, and I knew that he could do the same for Avery. So I prayed continually for days before asking for one. I asked John to pray. I asked my mom and my sisters to pray. I felt inspired to do some things to help her. The night before, we role played what the experience would be like. Carston did it just fine, Macy did it just fine, and Avery was screaming and wiggling trying to get out of it. But I think it was helpful. Anyway, the day of the visit, I knew that everything was going to be just fine. I just had a peaceful feeling in my heart. And it was. She did everything she needed to do, brushed her teeth, got her x-rays, sat in the chair, let the dentist check her teeth... And all of it without ANY crying, screaming, or whining. It really was a miracle, and I am so grateful to Heavenly Father for exercising his power to help us. In the grand scheme of things, it wasn't a big deal. But for four year old Avery who had a fear of all things medical, it was huge. And so He was there. I know the same is true in my own life. There are things that don't really matter in the end, but for me with my fears and worries and weaknesses, they are huge. And so He is there. I'm so grateful for that.
PS: I take my kids to Adventure Dental in Draper. It is AMAZING for kids, well worth the commute. They have their walls painted and covered in things that kids like, castles, ocean scenes, tons of Disney characters, etc. They have TVs in the ceiling that the kids can watch movies on or play video games on while they get their work done. They have them wear sunglasses and headphones at the same time. They make the kids a balloon object when they are done. Dr. Moffat is great with kids and talks to them and gets down on their level. It is a great office. My kids both said it was the best part of their day :) If you are looking for an awesome place to take your kids, I HIGHLY recommend it. Heck, I want to go there when I have to go to the dentist :)
2 comments:
Miracles do happen! Aren't we so grateful that we can pray to someone who really can make a difference. I had a miraculous thing happen this week to me on my job, also. Only God could have controlled the situation. I am so thankful that Avery had a good experience. Thanks to a mom that cares enough to pray and a God that answers the call. Love you so much!
mom
You never seem stop amazing me. I am so happy to read your stories and hear your testimony. It strengthens mine. Thanks
Post a Comment