Carston had his first day of second grade today. Of course I cried. I don't know why I cried exactly. I guess it was a good cry. Carston is going to a new school (for the part that he's doing at school). He didn't know anyone in his class. I was kind of worried. I didn't know how things would go for him. I didn't know how much a part of the class he would feel. I didn't know if he would make friends. I didn't know how hard it would be for him. I guess I was just being his mother. When we went in, all the kids were sitting at their desks waiting for the teacher to get started. He walked right over and hung his backpack up and then sat down at his desk without so much as a look in my direction. I was so happy for him that he had a positive attitude and that he has developed a courageous spirit. Man, to hear me talk, you'd think he was doing some kind of crazy thing! But for a 7 year old, what could be more crazy? I couldn't wait to hear how his day went. But man-child that he is, the answers are slow in making their way to the surface (like his father, who I sometimes refer to as Quiet Man). From what I can gather, he played by himself for the first recess (break my heart, but kind of expected), he found a friend in the ward for the next recess, he said he made two friends even if he can't remember their name, one teacher showed them how to make a wolf, the school has a cafeteria, and that's about all I could get out of him. I could tell that even though he had a positive attitude, it was still a hard day for him. He ended up having a meltdown in the car later that evening which I knew had very little to do with the thing he was crying about, and everything to do with all he dealt with having his first day at a new school. It is crazy to think about how fast his life has gone. What happened to my little boy? I feel so blessed to be Carston's mother. I know that he is growing into a fine man who will make a difference not only in the world, but in people's individual lives.
Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes
2 months ago
2 comments:
Oh,first days at a new school are hard. I still remember my first day in seventh grade at a new school, new town, etc. I'm crying just reading this post. Grandmas don't like it when the world doesn't make things warm and fuzzy for their grandchildren. Carston is awesome though, he is such a little man! He definitely is my most favorite grandson!!! Love his smile and the way he laughs!
Grandma
He's a cutie. Love him. Time makes all things better- he'll be ok, even if it's not fun to watch as a mom or aunt.
Post a Comment