It happened today. I guess I'm lucky that with four kids I was able to go so long before experiencing it. I'm talking about the tantrum. The tantrum that had me completely
embarrassed. The tantrum that made my eyes well up with tears. Yeah. It was a good one. I videotaped some of it in the car because I didn't think John would be able to fully appreciate its depth and magnitude with words alone. Oh yeah, and to top it all off, it happened in the worst place possible. The
LDS Distribution Center. It is making me laugh now to think about it. It all started with the short trip to Dressed in White to get Kate's blessing dress. There were two there that I liked, and I thought Avery would think it was fun to choose which one we should buy. So we get the dress and head out so we can go get another manual next door for Young Women's. As soon as we get out the door, it starts. Avery does NOT want to walk. But I have two other babies who rightfully claim the seats in the double stroller. But NO, she is not walking. She starts crying and yelling and SCREAMING. And believe me when I say she can scream loud. After a few minutes of trying to get her to stop, I take her to the car for time-out so she can calm down. Meanwhile I'm stressing over how much time this tantrum is costing because we have to pick
Carston up from school soon. After a few minutes, she stops just long enough for me to think it's over and head over to the store. Oh no. It was just so she could gather more steam. So I'm standing outside of the store with her screaming and not letting me touch her and all these strangers staring at me-the men with stunned expressions and the women with knowing smiles. Anyway, time is getting short. I weigh my options. I can forget about the manual, load everyone up in the car, and come back later, or I can just trudge into the store with her and her tantrum. I choose the later option. It's hard to get errands done with all the kids and I can't pass up the opportunity. So off we go into the sweet atmosphere of the distribution center. Except now it isn't so sweet. No one can hear the sacred background music anymore, just Avery screaming the whole time, and escalating that scream to her highest
decibel every time I take a step. Part of me thought it was funny, and the other part of me had tears welling up as I waited for my turn at the cashier's desk. She didn't stop once we got in the car either. She was hitting the windows, kicking Carston, still screaming... And the whole time Macy was saying, "Avee....Avee....Avee..." She didn't understand what was going on. I think by the time she finally calmed down and we got out of the car (LONG after everyone else) it had been a good hour from the time she started. Oh....good times. And now she's upstairs sweet as can be.
12 comments:
Is this your first experience with a tantrum or your first experience with an Avery tantrum? I'm impressed if you've made it this far if this is THE first. They are time bombs and there is virtually no stopping it!
Oh my gosh! Seriously, I can picture it. I remember Avery throwing a tantrum when we were coming to see you at the hospital because she didn't have the right sock. (remember Chels? ha ha). She is strong willed! She's so funny. I love you. Hope you have a better day tomorrow.
Oh no! I've witnessed one of those with my neice. So sorry!
Oh I totally feel for you. Two days ago when I was babysitting, the boy I was watching suddenly didn't want to go to preschool. He was gripping the rails and kicking, sitting down etc. when the lady that takes him was trying to take him. So I ended up dragging him/carrying him/pulling him down the street as he was SCREAMING. Loudly. haha I was a little embarrassed.
Where was Grandma when you (or should I say Aver Babes)) needed her!! (At work of course) You should have taken me up on the babysitting after work offer. j/k
Love you and all this just seems like payback, except I don't want you to have to experience it. Remember going to the beautician (because nothing else worked) to get the burr out of your hair? That was bad.
And remember Chels at her piano lesson with Arthur? That was even worse.
Isn't it great we have a sense of humor--after the fact usually.
Oh Natalie! I can not even begin to express how grateful I am to have a friend living such similar experiences to my own. It is refreshing to know that I am not the only one that would take the second option and just suffer through the tantrum. You are an amazing mother!
Why do those tantrums always happen when you REALLY have to get something done???!?!!! I have a good friend who could aways find room for one more in the stroller....next time, throw her in the storage basket below, they carry more weight than we think!!!
Natalie, it has been so long since I have read blogs, but first of all I just wanted to tell you how beautiful Kate is (I really love her name). I hope that things are better for you. I know how hard some days as a mom can be. Just keep telling yourself that "This too shall pass." It helps me remember that before I know it time will get me through the hard days. Love you and know that you have mommy support from me. :-)
Thanks for the good laugh, I'm glad it is not only my child.
Hopefully she got it ALL out of her system for awhile. Way to go for sticking to your guns even though it was embarassing to be in the distribution center with a screaming kid. She will remember that in the future and know not to mess with you!
All right, I need to know. Is this a three year old thing? I've lost my sweet Emma and in her place is this raging, emotinal, tantrum-throwing, drama queen? Terrible two's nothing! I'm proud of you for finishing your errands. I wish I could have been there to help. Oh, wait, Emma would have competed.
And I'm glad you got in on film to show John.
Post a Comment