Thursday, February 5, 2009

Sleep is a Burden

I think someone somewhere once said that sleep is a burden. That is totally how I feel lately. Of course I'm up at all hours of the night now, so I obviously have to make up that sleep deficit somewhere. So I can either take naps or go to bed early. Both things I absolutely hate to do. In order to take a nap, I have to take one when Macy does. Every mom knows how sacred that time is when your toddler is sleeping. That is your time to either be really productive or to have some "me-time." To get all the dishes or laundry done. Or to veg out in front of the TV and watch HGTV. Who would want to give that up? The other option is going to bed early. Ugh. There are those awesome hours between when your kids go to bed and when you do. Those are pretty sacred too. It is the time to hang out with John and have a conversation without hearing "Mom. Mom. Mom!" every couple seconds (with three verbal children it is astounding how many times "mom" can be said in a day). Or I can take a bath without kids knocking on the door asking when I'll be done. Or I can read more that one paragraph in a book. Or work on the computer without someone wiggling on my lap. I love that time so why in the world would I want to go to bed early? Oh yeah, because I'm sleep deprived. Still, I hate trying to catch up on sleep. The whole situation makes me feel a bit rebellious. I should sleep, but I don't want to. Of course it would be the responsible thing to do, but I still don't want to.

6 comments:

Breanne said...

Just wait, it'll hit you and you'll be crying because you're so tired! If you need me to take your kids for a few hours let me know! I'm always here!

Chelsey Meier said...

Natta I love that your way of rebelling is not sleeping. If only my rebellions were so innocent. :) You're the sweetest person, but really you better be taking care of yourself, or I just might have to book a trip home and put in some babysitting!Love you.

Schauers Hours said...

I KNOW! That was the biggest conflict for me too! Sleep means I miss out on what I want but no sleep means I am miserable doing what I want. What to DO?

Heather O'Brien said...

Seriously! This is why I don't go to bed until 2 a.m.! You rebel! ha ha. Love you. Hope Kate sleeps through the night soon. If it makes you feel better Peyton still gets up tons too :).

SandyKay said...

Hey Nat ~ We are sending wishes for the sleep fairy to make the few hours that you actually sleep do double time in restoring your energy :-). I can't keep up with one so I have no idea how you do it with 4. As always ~ you are my hero. I hope to come down next week and hold Baby Kate. I talked to your Mom tonight and she said she just precious and already a month old!!! How can that be?

Oh Please tell Carston that Cy loved his stickers!!! How nice of him. We've been on the road so much he hasn't had a chance to write him but we will. That was so cool for Cy to get them in the mail!

Can't wait to see you all!

Love,

SK

Amber said...

LOL! I love the post and 100% agree with you. Sleep is a necessary but very burdensome thing for moms =). I have the same problem about getting sleep.