Thursday, September 3, 2009

First Grade Trauma


I had one of those moments today where Avery was so sweet it almost made me cry. I guess a little boy at Carston's school had some Backugon (? I think that is what they are called?). So Carston has been talking about them a lot, wanting to get some. He finally went last night on his Daddy Date, and was in heaven that he finally had some. He couldn't wait to take them today for Show and Tell. When I went to pick him up, I knew immediately that something was wrong. Apparently he was sharing one at recess with a boy he didn't really know. When the bell rang, the kid didn't remember whose it was and gave it to some random boy. I guess someone told Carston's teacher about it, and she tried to find out who it was, gave a lecture about returning it, how much it meant to Carston, etc- all to no avail. I know he had to work really hard to not cry at school, so the minute he got in the car he just started bawling. It was pretty sad because it was something so special and exciting for him. I told him that if no one returned it tomorrow, then we could go get another after school. Sweet little Avery. As Carston went crying into the house, she came up and was telling me that when she was a grown up like me she would surprise Carston and buy him another one. Then inside, she called the first brownie, but gave it to Carston all on her own to help him feel better. She is such a little sweetie. I love it when my kids show love and compassion of their own accord. Makes the hard stuff in parenting worth it.

4 comments:

Heather O'Brien said...

Oh sad! And so cute of Avery! What the heck is a bakugan or whatever?

Breanne said...

That totally made me cry. I hope someday Mara will be like Avery.

Chelsey Meier said...

Avery is a sweetheart! She really has the biggest heart. I'm with heather though, what is this mysterious thing Carston lost?

Bethany said...

Sad! I hate it when things you can't control make your kids upset. Awesome that Avery was doing her best to make it better!