Carston and Avery had their first days of school. Carston is now in first grade, and I have to say I think I'm having a harder time adjusting than him. I hate that he is gone all day. I might feel better if I didn't think that a lot of it is wasted time. It is hard for me to control my attitude so it doesn't rub off on him. Today I was asking him if there were times during class where he finished his work early. When he said yes, I asked him what he did during those times. PUT HIS HEAD ON HIS DESK. He has to put his head down. Excuse me? Isn't that a punishment? We are punishing those who work hard and are successful? And he's at a charter school that is supposed to push kids more and offer more for those who need a better challenge. And he isn't alone. By far, the majority of kids in his class are bored and need a faster, more challenging curriculum. UGHHHHH. I could go on and on about public schooling. I wish I had a good solution. Every option out there has so many cons, that I really feel like whatever I choose isn't a good solution, it is just the least crappy one out there. Anyway.... please excuse my tirade. Now you know not to get me on the subject if you don't want to hear about it :) Back to the first days of school. Carston has grown so much. When I went to pick him up, he had this huge mark on his face. I guess he was too close to the monkey bars and got kicked pretty hard in the face. Someone got the aide and he put ice on it and everything. He was tough though. If that would have happened two years ago, it would have been such a big ordeal. Carston is such a stud. We moved everyone's rooms around, so now he shares his with Kate. He was telling my mom how he has to sneak out in the mornings, and that sometimes it is hard, so he gives her a book and then sneaks out. The other night, she had cried a little going to bed. When I checked the kids before going to sleep myself, I found Carston's huge stuffed elephant in her crib :) He is such a sweetie.
(This was a few days later-so it looked worse initially)
(I love the face-nervous excitement:)
Little Miss Avery had her first day of preschool too. She was so excited. I can tell that she just loves feeling like she is so old and that she gets to go do all these things she's seen Carston do. She loves preschool. When she came home, she couldn't wait to read her books (she's just started reading the last few months). Today she brought home a turtle she colored and told me that when we move it is the only thing she'll take with her (her other toys she'll leave here so that when new people come, they'll be so excited about all the toys-we aren't moving, we just talk about it:) Oh yeah, my mom took her on a special date to pick out a new outfit for school. She choose this Hello Kitty Shirt, some peace sign leggings, a kitty for her hair, and another shirt that said "Best Friends Forever." She told my mom that if she wore it to school everyone would think she looked so beautiful:) I love my little Aver Babers.
1 comment:
so cute! Just so you know the "beautiful" thing rubbed off on Hallie. She wants to pick her outfit everyday now and she says, "Do you think my nursery teachers/friends/Daddy will think I look beautiful in this?"
Post a Comment