Friday, May 7, 2010

Dear Avery


Dear Avery,

Can I tell you that you are one of the sweetest girls I know? And I'm not just saying that because I'm your mother. We are taught that women are born with special abilities to nurture, and you are living proof of that. You love taking care of people, and you rarely hesitate to give of yourself, your belongings, etc in order to make other people happy. Your greatest desire is to be a mother, and I hope you never forget or lose sight of what a divine calling that is. I love that you get excited about cooking (I can't crack an egg without you running in asking if you can help), that you are enthusiastic about doing dishes, that you often sing or hum as you go about doing household tasks, that you speak so kindly and patiently with your little sisters. I love that you know how beautiful you are. I'll find you with blue eye shadow all over your cheeks, gazing into the mirror with a smile, thinking about how pretty you look. It is a good reminder to me that it isn't in the way we decorate ourselves that makes us beautiful, but in the state of our hearts. And let me tell you Avery, you are one very beautiful girl. I have loved watching you gain courage this past year as you've ventured into activities without your mom by your side. It makes me happy to see you pleased with your decision to walk into preschool all by yourself. You are a little social butterfly, and are always asking to have your friends over. I love that you can enjoy all ages and both genders because you are usually thinking of what the other person would enjoy doing. I love how much you love to snuggle, and how you'll frequently tell me as I tuck you in to bed, "As soon as I wake up in the morning, I'm going to come in your bed and SNUGGLE!" I love watching you skip down the hall. I love seeing what outfit you'll put together each day. I love how spending time with people makes you feel so special. I love your imagination-you can take anything on hand and find an exciting way to play with it (shampoo bottles, rocks, etc). I love seeing you pulling up a seat on the couch to read a good book. I love seeing the smile on your face when you dance or wrestle with daddy. I love how you carry your CD player all around the house and always want to turn music on. I love your big beautiful brown eyes that are always sparkling with excitement. I love how expressive you are in your face without even realizing it. I love that you still want me to play with you. You are only 4 Avery, but I can already see how you will be a powerful instrument for good. The world needs women who will take a stand in proclaiming the importance of mothers through their words and actions. I know you will be one of those women. I love you Avery.

Mom

No comments: