Thursday, June 4, 2009

No Smiles for this Boy Today


I made a decision in the heat of the moment and now I have to live with the consequences. Before I explain, there are two points to be understood. First, cooking is not my most favorite thing to do in the world. But I do it because I love my family. Second, eating a variety of foods is not Carston's most favorite thing to do in the world. And up until now I haven't really made him because when you only have one kid, it isn't a big deal to make a "second dinner" more to his liking. I know, I know, I should have never started doing that. What can I say though, I was a picky eater myself growing up so the empathy got a little out of hand. With more kids, and the bad example that "I don't want to eat that it's sick" brings, I reached my breaking point (it only took 6 years). So yesterday.... I spent the time making Veg-Head Chili. It's pretty good. Of course when I put in on the table, Carston starts saying that he doesn't want to eat it etc. Pretty soon Macy and Avery are copying him saying it is gross. So I snap and calmly explain that we are doing something new. If you don't eat your dinner, you can have it for breakfast. If you don't eat it for breakfast, guess what you are having for lunch. Etc. Bottom line, you will not be given any other food until you eat your dinner. John of course is celebrating on the inside because he's been wanting me to do this forever. I can't say the same about Carston. Of course Avery and Macy start eating and finish their food in a couple of minutes. Carston....It is now 2 in the afternoon and his bowl of chili is still sitting in the fridge. Let's just say it has been a fun day. The minute I woke up and remembered what I did, I thought, "Oh crap." I'm determined to stick with it though, otherwise all the suffering up to this point has been in vain right? We'll see how it turns out. I'm hopeful April that I'll have the same success story as you. Having that running around in my brain is probably what pushed me to do it :) It is just one of those times where the phrase, "This hurts me more than it hurts you," keeps going through my mind. I'm not doing much smiling either.
UPDATE: So I have pictures to post but am too tired to do it. The day continued pretty much the same. Carston took a couple naps during the day because he had zero energy because of the zero food-one right next to the toilet I might add because he felt like he was going to throw up and even though I told him it was because his tummy was hungry he still wanted to go by the toilet. John came home (John finds the whole thing totally funny, and I have to laugh too or I'll cry because it is too sad), and wanted to make him use up more energy so he'd be hungry so he was dragging his limp body around outside for awhile trying to get him to play basketball. Carston spent half the time shooting airballs and the other half laying on the grass. His friends came over and he perked up a bit. Then came dinnertime. We had coupons for free ice cream cones, so I talked about going to get those after dinner. Of course he wanted one. After thinking about it hard he said he was going to eat his dinner. Time ticked by. More time. More time. He WAS eating it. Sweet little kid. The first bite he took he said how good it was even though you could tell he didn't believe it. After awhile he was asking why his prayer wasn't working (he had asked that he'd eat his food and like it). Anyway, down to the wire, time is almost out, two bites left, and he asks what happens if he throws up (My mom tells me that is what I'd do as a child when she'd make me eat something I didn't like). I tell him not to worry, so he gets a big bite....and yep. You guessed it. Veg-head chili all over the kitchen floor. He could care less about that though, he just wants to know if he still gets his ice cream. I let him, but I try to make sure the point is driven home. What happens if you don't eat your dinner Carst? "You get it for breakfast, and then for lunch, and then dinner, and then breakfast again. I did good huh mom because I didn't have to have it for breakfast again, I did it for dinner the next day." Hmmmmm. Hard to say who won this round. Carston didn't have to eat it for 24 hours. I had to deal with him being upset and comatose for 24 hours. He eventually ate all but one bite. I had to clean up regurgitated veg-head chili. For some reason, it isn't quite as appetizing today as it was yesterday.

5 comments:

Lindy Rae said...

I'm proud of you! That's so hard to do! Stick to it, and it'll pay off!

Also - Veg-Head Chili sounds really good...although not so good for breakfast the next morning.

Mom said...

Natalie, that is such a funny story! I'm sorry you had to deal with a ... persistently decisive kid and the icky end result, but you did get the point across and I'm proud of you for sticking to your guns. What a hard situation to be in. You totally have my support though and I think you're amazing.

Jen said...

I had to laugh :) My parents used to do the same with me.I remember my dad saying "If you do not eat your dinner you will have to eat it for breakfast". I was not that picky of an eater, but I did not like Chili at all. Funny it was the same meal . I feel Cartson's pain ;).I too ate like a good girl and well.... I barfed Chili in the kitchen all over the place. Lol Yuck! What a great Mom you are. I will now finally eat some Chili every now and then. Still a little hesitant. Carst will be great eating what you make I'm sure.

Schauers Hours said...

Wow, you really did it! You stuck to your word. I am throwing out empty threats way too often. Like sleep training, the next time won't be as difficult. And it will be so good for everyone if you don't have to cook 2nd dinners!

Bethany said...

That "tough love" is so hard sometimes! Way to stick to what you said, you'll be glad you did! My number is 520-2702- we should get together for a day at the park or something!