Tuesday, June 2, 2009

So many of you know that I let my kids pick out their own clothes to wear. This usually results in them picking out things that obviously don't go together (in my humble opinion). I don't know why I don't put my foot down. I guess part of me wonders how many "creative geniuses" would be out there if we didn't try to make them conform to societies ideas of beauty and normal at such a young age. It's either that, or the fact that I quite literally don't have the time to argue with them about it every day. I just make sure that Avery's hair is always nicely done so that whoever sees her knows that there is in fact someone out there who loves her and takes care of her, they just also let her have her independence when it comes to dressing herself. Anyway, so Carston came out this morning holding this nice shirt, and miracle of miracles, he had paired it with some nice khaki shorts. "Wow," I thought. "He's going to look so cute today." That thought lasted as long as it took him to get dressed and come back out again. He had his shirt tucked all the way in (with no belt). I tried to talk him out of it, but to no avail. He's required to tuck his shirt in for school, so I guess that has had an effect on him. So the outfit itself was good, just not the execution in putting it together. Anyway, when he came out tonight wearing his pajamas like this, I just had to take a picture. I don't think I'll convince him anytime soon to abandon the "tucking in" habit, but hopefully he'll see the light before he enters junior high.

PS Carston does a lot of things in his sleep that crack me up. Tonight's episode though is at the top of the list. He came out to the family room like he usually does when he has to go the bathroom. I told him to go, but didn't follow him. I listened for the tinkle, and felt relieved when I heard it, figured everything was good. Then I hear "Mommy, come here." I go in thinking he wants me to put his blanket back on. Nope. "Mommy, I need a shirt and some pants." Oh crap, did he get pee all over them. Reach down to feel. What's that. There is no shirt. There are no pants. Carston is naked. "Carston why are your clothes off?" "I don't know." So, he made it to the bathroom okay, who knows why the clothes came off.

1 comment:

Schauers Hours said...

Does carston read the blog? I might be embarrassed for him. Funny though.